Wednesday 2 January 2008

sinh to bo - avocado smoothie

Ever since I first heard about a sweet avocado smoothie I have been desperate to try it.

When I was in Bali last July I ordered a similar version in every restaurant I went to, but since it wasn’t avocado season it was never available.

It sounds a bit weird but given that avocado has a creamy consistency it makes sense that it would go well in a creamy drink.

Jonas isn’t very keen on what he calls my “weird drinks” so he was very sceptical when he heard whizzing and blending noises coming from the kitchen. I refused to tell him what I was making but when he saw the pale green hue of the drink he wrinkled up his noise and said “it’s not that avocado one is it?”.

I lied. He drank it. He wasn’t happy.

Jonas didn’t like the drink at all, but I thought it was nice. There is a gentle avocado flavour and a creamy sweetness from the condensed milk, so it’s important to use ice water and ice to ensure the drink is frosty and refreshing.

I think the flavour is quite pleasant and moreish, but you probably won’t want seconds since it’s very rich.

It's definately worth trying.

Sinh To Bo - Avocado Smoothie
Recipe by Kurma Dasa. Makes 4-6.
Ingredients:
½ cup sugar
½ cup water
5 small or 2 large ripe avocadoes, about 800g
2-3 cups iced water
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup crushed ice
Method:
1. Make sugar syrup by combining the sugar and ½ cup water in a small saucepan. Bring the syrup to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Cut the avoicadoes, remove the stones and put the flesh in a blender or processor.
3. Add sugar syrup, 2 cups iced water and blend to purée.
4. Add condensed milk and ice and process again.
5. If it is too thick for your tastes add more iced water and blend.

I’m also pleased with myself since by making this drink I have already knocked off one of my 2008 food challenges.

This is my contribution to the first WHB of 2008, hosted by the event founder Kalyn. Since I have already waxed lyrical about the avocado previously, I’ll leave you with a link to my old avocado information instead and encourage you to visit Kalyn’s Kitchen for the event round-up.


Tags:

4 comments:

  1. I think it sounds very interesting. I love that sweetened condensed milk in Vietnamese coffee, so I bet I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To each his own... for us here in the Philippines, avocados are used in shakes and desserts. Use it in savory salads or sandwiches, it's kinda weird for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make mine with milk, avocado and honey. I find the honey gives it a nice aroma and taste to it. I've never tried it with condense milk but will on my next avocado smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do the same thing in Brazil where a friend of ours was from and she made us one which was fantastic. Only difference was she used regular milk in place of the condensed milk and water.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails