Friday 26 September 2008

pink grapefruit syrup cupcakes



It's Sugar High Friday and I am feeling particularly sweet and ever-so high since I started my spiffy new job earlier this week.

In celebration, I think it's time to break out the cakes. Cupcakes that is!!!

And how convenient, since the Sugar High Friday theme this month is cupcakes!

Happily, I have now converted my dislike of grapefruit into a contented affection. Like many other food items (asparagus, oysters, olives, brussel sprouts), through sheer force of will, I have made myself like grapefruit, especially in a sweet context.

So in honour of my newfound citrus friend and my brilliant new job, I give you:


Pink Grapefruit Syrup Cupcakes
Based on recipe from Australian Gourmet Traveller. Makes 12.
Ingredients:

Cupcakes
140gm butter, softened
160gm caster sugar
Finely grated rind of ½ pink grapefruit
3 eggs
290gm self-raising flour, sieved
200ml milk
Syrup
200gm caster sugar
150ml pink grapefruit juice
Rind of ½ pink grapefruit, thinly removed with vegetable peeler
Method:
1. For syrup, using a small knife, remove as much pith as possible from rind and discard.
2. Tear rind into thin strips, blanch in boiling water, drain.
3. Combine with remaining ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil and cook over high heat until rind is translucent (1-2 minutes). Cool.
4. Preheat oven to 170’C.
5. To make cupcakes, beat butter, sugar and grapefruit rind in an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
6. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
7. Next add flour and milk and beat until smooth.
8. Divide among 12 muffin tips, greased and lined with cupcake holders.
9. Bake until golden and centre springs back when lightly pressed (25-30 minutes).
10. Cool for 10 minutes in moulds, then turn onto a wire rack placed over a tray.
11. Using a skewer, pierce a few holes in tops of cakes. Drizzle with syrup while still warm
12. Decorate with strips of rind and serve immediately.


I have made some other interesting cupcakes since I started this blog, so feel free to check these out too:
Glacé Apricot, Chocolate & Poppy Seed Cupcakes
Ricotta, Strawberry & Choc-Chip Muffins
Rosewater Cupcakes
Yoghurt & Orange Blossom Cupcakes

Or better still, check out the extensive cupcake SHF round-up by Fanny from Foodbeam.

Tags:

4 comments:

  1. The look so beautiful.
    Have bookmarked to make them

    ReplyDelete
  2. How brilliant and lovely for using grapefruit. I love grapefruit and love seeing recipes with them!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made them today. I got many compliments and it was delicious! The only thing is that the preparations for it took a while, a large part due to the fact that your measurments are different from the ones I use, but that's obviously not your fault. I would definatly do it again when I have more time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. anon - thank you for letting me know. i'm so glad you and your friends enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails